March 22, 2016Weekly Bites
- Irrigation is the most important thing for reducing bacterial impact.
- Irrigation should be urgently done in every wound. It can be done by warm normal saline or simple running tap water.
- One can add dilute iodine or any aseptic solution if required.
- Irrigation can be low pressure or high pressure. At home low pressure injection is sufficient which can be done using any of the infant milk bottle.
- If there is a burn, irrigation should be done continuously till the burning disappears.
- In case there is a foreign body with irritation, continuous irrigation should be done till burning disappears.
- Do not forget to wash your hands with soap and water before cleaning the wound and wear medical gloves, if available.
- It is good idea to let the injured person clear his or her own wounds, if possible.
- Rinsing of the wounds should be done for at least 5–10 minutes.
- Cool water may feel better than warm water on the wound.
- If there is a mild bleeding, clean the wound first and then stop the bleeding.
- Moderate scrubbing can be done if the wound is very dirty.
- If there are foreign bodies or objects, remove them using a clear tweezers. Do not push the tweezers, deeply into the wound.
- Apply dressing and bandage to the wound as the need may be.